Security Guard Checklist
Private Security and Investigative Services
Security Guard Test Preparation Checklist
This checklist outlines some of the key subject areas covered in the basic training program for security guards. Be familiar with these areas as they may be covered in the mandatory test.
You may wish to check off each of these identified subject areas after you review them.
Resource / Asset Protection
Security guards are required to walk around their job site to identify possible signs of irregular activity. Working as a security guard, you may be required to use video monitors and alarm boards to detect suspicious behaviour on the premises. Additionally, as security guards often interact with the public on a daily basis, it is important that you approach all individuals with respect.
Conducting remote surveillance of premises
Conducting in-person surveillance premises
Detaining suspect without physical contact
Security guards are expected to react to emergency situations and to reduce the impact caused by an emergency event at a worksite. You may be required to perform an assortment of duties during emergency procedures and must understand the importance of scene management.
Monitoring alarm systems and assessing need for response and follow-up
Responding to an emergency alarm
Communicating details of incident
Emergency scene isolation
Managing emergency situations
Dealing With Other Personnel in the Company
Security guards should escort employees and/or visitors in and out of buildings, while issuing and retrieving company property (e.g. badges, employees’ keys). Record logs may be kept to track security information. Further, it is important to know company policies and possible disciplinary actions if they are violated.
Performing in-company security duties related directed to individuals
Security guards are encouraged to keep written records of observations and to transfer them to an incident report log. Communicating information verbally to co-workers and supervisors about incidents may also be necessary. It is important to consistently update reports.
Documenting events and incidents
Preparing and maintaining routine administrative records
When individuals enter a site, it is essential to examine their identification, check it against the access list, escort individuals onto the premises to other areas of the site and ask the appropriate questions. Proper documentation of this transaction should be completed after an individual is granted access and/or has left the site.
Providing site access
Monitoring and controlling movement within sites/premises
Controlling egress/exit of person(s)
Assistance to the General Public
A security guard must ensure the safety of the general public by taking calculated actions, observing, assessing and monitoring people, vehicles and situations in the surrounding environment.
Providing assistance to the general public (e.g. directions to motorists, lost child, persons with disabilities)
Collect, Verify & Communicate Information
Security guards must understand the requirements of their role as a representative of the private security industry. To do this, they may obtain task related information from a number of different sources, understand it, and request further information if necessary.
Obtaining and determining type of assignment
Mock Multiple Choice Questions
- Which of the following fuels are associated with a Class B fire?
- Wood, paper, cloth
- Gasoline, oil, grease
- Metal, paper, cloth
- Wood, paper, electrical equipment
- Which of the following equipment would a security guard who is on vehicle patrol most likely use to communicate with a dispatcher?
- Facsimile Machine
- Alarm System
- Two-way radio
- Cell phone
- Which Regulation under the Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005, sets out what data a licensed business entity shall keep?
- Information to be Provided to the Registrar
- Recordkeeping Requirements for Licensed Business Entities
- Registration Requirements for Business Entities
- Which of the following are considered access control points?
- Door, turnstile, parking gate
- Window, door, stairs
- Sidewalk, pathway, lane
- Room, garage, lobby
- A security guard is on patrol and encounters an individual who has injured himself. The individual refuses help from the security guard although the security guard advises the individual that he/she is trained in first aid. What should the security guard do?
- Demand that the individual let the security guard perform first aid on him/her.
- Ask a passer by to assist the individual instead.
- Call for help and wait until the ambulance/medical help arrives.
- Call for help and leave the individual alone.
- Which of the following documents would be used by an employer/property owner to set out the tasks, actions and/or policies and procedures for a security guard while performing his/her duties?
- Post or Standing Orders
- Legal Agreements
- Daily Reports
- Company Directory
Answers To Mock Multiple Choice Questions