News and Information
Private security and investigative services
News and information
The Ministry of the Solicitor General regulates Ontario’s private security and investigative services industry including licensing all security guards, private investigators and agencies. Employers and businesses that directly employ in-house security staff must also register with the ministry.
The ministry oversees security guards and private investigators in Ontario so they carry out their work professionally, effectively, safely and lawfully. It also investigates complaints against security guards, private investigators and their employers.
- applying for a security guard or private investigator licence
- renewing or replace a security guard or private investigator licence
- requirements for security guards and private investigators
- requirements for agencies
- registering to employ private security staff
- applying for or renew an agency licence
- offering security guard or private investigator training