OCC Inquest - Nelson 2016
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given Name(s): Marc Robert
Held at: Ottawa City Hall, Ottawa
From: March 8
To: March 9, 2016
By: Dr. Bob Reddoch, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Marc Robert Nelson
Date and time of death: April 21, 2014 at 14:31 hours
Place of death: Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus
Cause of death: Multiple Blunt Force Injuries
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson and Jurors)
The verdict was received on the 9th of March, 2016
Coroner's name: Dr. Bob Reddoch
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:Marc Robert Nelson
To Priestly Demolition Inc. (PDI) and Labourers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA)
- PDI and LIUNA should develop uniform training and/or instruction for its workers with respect to hand signals.
- PDI and LIUNA should develop training and/or instruction for its workers with respect to signalling and spotting, so that the workers are adequately aware of the responsibilities and the safety requirements of the work.
- PDI should establish procedures and practices so that workers working in the vicinity of a hazard are sufficiently notified of the nature of the hazard and the areas of the hazard.
- PDI should establish procedures and practices so that when any wall is being knocked over (or an event of similar magnitude) that could have catastrophic consequences, all workers working in the vicinity are aware of the timing of and the area of danger.
- PDI should instruct its workers that when construction or demolition is ongoing and a barrier has been compromised, that all potentially hazardous work should cease unless the barrier can be properly and promptly corrected without any danger to any worker.
- LIUNA should promote and offer all safety courses to non-union members at a reasonable cost.
To Ontario Ministry of Labour (MOL)
The MOL should study the need for specific and/or mandatory demolition training course(s) for workers engaged in demolition work. This training should include the use of uniform hand signals, the use of workers performing safety watch responsibilities, and the use of designated safe access/egress to demolition areas.