OCC Inquest - Maschke 2016
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given Name(s): Wayne John
Held at: 1107 Garrett St. Sharbot Lake, Ontario
From: May 2
To: May 3, 2016
By: Dr. John Carlisle, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Wayne John Maschke
Date and time of death: March 5, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.
Place of death: Hinchinbrook distribution station at 217 White Lake Road, Central Frontenac Township
Cause of death: Crushing injuries of the torso
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson and Jurors)
The verdict was received on May 3, 2016
Coroner's name: Dr. John Carlisle
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
Wayne John Maschke
To CUSW and Hydro One
- Hydro One and CUSW shall continue to work together to improve the safety culture where people take responsibility for themselves and each other, and are willing to speak out about safety issues without reprimand or harassment.
To Hydro One
- Hydro One shall ensure that its skills matrix for workers is utilized in assigning work and is effective in ensuring that only workers with relevant training are assigned to appropriate work.
- Hydro One shall ensure that, during the job planning stage, there shall be two levels of review of the proposed job steps for high risk activities including review of appropriate crew size.
- Hydro One shall continuously review and evaluate its skills matrix on a regular basis.
- Supervisory positions shall be required to review and update safety and procedural training annually.