OCC Inquest - Lloyd 2019
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given name(s): Clifford Raymond
Held at:41 Court House Square, Brockville
From: Nov. 4, 2019
To: Nov. 5, 2019
By: Dr. R. Reddoch
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Clifford Raymond Lloyd
Date and time of death: July 17, 2017 at 4:39 p.m.
Place of death: 5910 County Rd. 18, Prescott, Ontario
Cause of death: Drowning
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on November 5, 2019
Coroner's name: Dr. R. Reddoch
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
Clifford Raymond Lloyd
To the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry; Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks; Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
- Upon new registration or transfer of an aggregate resource license, the license holder shall be informed of the associations which would assist them in ensuring compliance with regulations applicable to the license holder.
To the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
- Amend Regulation 854, specifically section 5(1) to add:
Before proceeding with (under this)
- The extraction of submerged earth, clay, sand, and gravel.
This triggers the requirement for a risk analysis by an engineer.
To the Chief Prevention Officer of the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
- Improve communication with pit and quarry owners to inform and educate owners about regulations, industry standards, and safe work practices and provide such information and training at no cost to the small business owner.
- Consider reissuing the Health and Safety Guideline document related to Draglines in Gravel Pits. (Regulation 854/90)
To Owners of Pits and Quarries
- In order to remain current with your obligations, it is recommended that you belong to an association which is relevant to the business which you are engaged.