OCC Inquest - LaVigne 2019
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given name(s): Michael
Held at: 25 Morton Shulman Ave. Toronto
From: April 29, 2019
To: May 2, 2019
By: Dr. David Eden
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Michael LaVigne
Date and time of death: Sept. 9, 2014 at 10:35 a.m.
Place of death: Scarborough General Hospital, Scarborough, Ontario
Cause of death: Blunt force trauma to the torso
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on May 2, 2019
Coroner's name: Dr. David Eden
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
To The Province of Ontario:
- Consider the study of whether a license should be required for the operation of excavation equipment.
- Require that the Ministry of Labour instruct excavator rental companies to provide their customers with information on how to access relevant legislation and guidelines, for example the Ministry of Labour Excavation Hazards document.
- Require that all municipalities upon receipt of a notice of excavation, direct property owners to Ministry of Labour's information on occupational health and safety, to lower the risk of death/injury.
- Require that the Ministry of Labour work with industry partners to ensure that safety app for phones and other electronic devices also translate the information in different languages.
- Require that the Ministry of Labour supply the guides and plain language documents in other languages.
- Consider a study by Ontario One Call to determine whether information on the hazards of excavation should be provided when they are contacted.
To the City of Toronto:
- Require that the city provide information on the hazards of excavation when they are contacted.