OCC Inquest - Bowley 2017
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given name(s): Jeremy
Held at: 6675 Burtwistle Lane, London
From: Nov. 20
To: Nov. 24, 2017
By: Dr. Thomas Wilson, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Jeremy Bowley
Date and time of death: August 1, 2013, 6:24 p.m.
Place of death: London Health Sciences Centre, University Hospital, 339 Windemere Road, London
Cause of death: Electrocution
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on the 24 of Nov., 2017
Coroner's name: Dr. Thomas Wilson
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
To those parties to whom recommendations are made:
- That a report be prepared from each party included in the recommendations, within 24 months, indicating the status of each recommendation, plus any additional best practices gleaned from this inquest should be included in such report.
To the Ministry of Labour:
- That you approach the Ministry of Education asking them to review their mandatory curriculums to ensure that all those leaving high school in Ontario will have received instruction on Occupational Health and Safety, their rights on the job and their particular risk as "vulnerable employees" as they enter the workforce.
- That you mandate Occupational Health and Safety training for new and existing small business owners which would include website links and/or orientation packages.
- That you have all small business owners be required to provide an educational presentation on safety and hazards in the work place for all newly hired employees before being assigned any work within the company. This orientation should identify the company’s health and safety representative and explain his/her role.
- That you create and implement mandatory Health and Safety standards and training for all Health and Safety representatives.
To Signature Events:
- That you make representations to other known tent rental companies and the Canadian Rental Association that tent erections/deconstructions fall under Construction Regulations of the Ontario Health and Safety Act, that proper site surveys (including a proper checklist) should be used to assess sites for hazards, and to distribute Ministry of Labour call centre phone number and website address.
To the Ministry of Municipal Affairs:
- That you require building permits for erection of any structure, temporary or permanent, over 60 square feet and that you require all drawings submitted in support of building permit applications to either show locations of overhead lines or certify that there are no lines.
To the Electrical Safety Authority:
- That you carry out an informational/educational campaign directed to municipalities to warn that parties erecting structures must identify/be aware of electrical lines prior to commencing any building work.