Facilities - locations and visiting hours
The Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services operates the following adult facilities:
- Correctional centres house sentenced offenders typically serving periods of incarceration from 60 days to a maximum of two years less a day.
- Offenders serving their sentences in correctional centres are eligible for education, counselling and work experience programs.
Jails and Detention Centres
- Jails are older, generally smaller institutions originally established by counties or other municipalities.
- Detention centres are larger, more modern facilities built to serve the needs of several regions.
- Jails and detention centres serve as the point of entry into the institutional system. They hold:
- persons on remand (awaiting trial, sentencing or other proceedings)
- offenders sentenced to short terms (approximately 60 days or less)
- offenders awaiting transfer to a federal or provincial correctional facility
- Both types of facilities are maximum security.
- Treatment centres provide specialized and intensive treatment for motivated offenders with clearly identified problems relating to substance abuse, sexual misconduct, impulse control and anger management.
- These facilities are staffed by professional clinical personnel employed by, or under contract to, the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.