Ontario’s Correctional Services establishes, maintains, operates and monitors adult correctional institutions and probation and parole offices.
Correctional Services also has jurisdiction over adult offenders under parole supervision, as granted by the Ontario Parole Board, as well as providing programs and facilities designed to assist in offender rehabilitation.
In carrying out its correctional services mandate, the Ministry of the Solicitor General has jurisdiction over:
- offenders 18 years of age and over who are:
- sentenced to terms of imprisonment of less than two years
- terms of probation of up to three years
- conditional sentences of up to two years less a day
- offenders under parole supervision, as granted by the Ontario Parole Board
- adults on remand, awaiting trial or sentencing
- adults held for immigration hearing or deportation
- offenders awaiting transfer to federal institutions to serve sentences of two years or more.
The ministry maintains 25 correctional facilities that include: