Street Checks Independent Review - Invitation Letter
May 19, 2017
Honourable Justice Michael H. Tulloch
Court of Appeal for Ontario
130 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5H2H5
Dear Justice Tulloch,
I would like to express my personal gratitude for your willingness to serve as the Independent Reviewer of Ontario Regulation 58/1: Collection of Identifying Information in Certain Circumstances – Prohibition and Duties.
As set out in the Terms of Reference attached, your review shall:
- Examine whether the regulation appropriately reflects the government’s goal of ensuring that police-public interactions are consistent, conducted without bias or discrimination, and done in a manner that promotes public confidence and keeps our communities safe;
- Assess whether police officers, chiefs of police and police services boards are in compliance with the regulation;
- Evaluate the curriculum and related training materials developed by the Ontario Police College to ensure compliance with the regulation – including providing findings on the effectiveness of the training;
- Examine the approaches police services have adopted and make any relevant recommendations on whether greater consistency is required regarding the implementation of specific aspects of the regulation;
- Identify whether there are any challenges, operational or otherwise, in applying the regulation and, if so, provide any recommendations regarding how they could be addressed;
- Examine whether the accountability and oversight mechanisms in the regulation are appropriate to ensure compliance and, if not, recommend how they could be improved; and
- Identify any potential regulatory amendments and policy and/or procedural changes recommended to improve the implementation of the regulation.
Our government believes that respectful, rights based interactions between police and members of the public is the foundation of effective community policing and keeping our communities safe. I look forward to your work on this important issue.
Cc: Deputy Minister
Chief Administrative Officer
I have read, understood and accepted the terms and conditions of appointment as outlined in the Terms of Reference.
Honourable Michael Tulloch