Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services :: Renew or Replace a Licence

Private Security & Investigative Services

Renew or Replace a Security Guard or Private Investigator Licence

All licence renewals are valid for two years.

If your licence card is lost, stolen or damaged, please apply to replace it immediately. Working without a valid licence can lead to charges.

How to renew or replace a licence

  • You can renew a licence by mail or online through ServiceOntario.
  • You can request a new licence card to replace a lost, stolen or damaged licence card by mail or online through ServiceOntario.
  • If you apply online, you will be able to check the status of your application online within two business days.
  • Online applicants will be able to access a printable digital licence as soon as their application is approved. The printed digital licence can be used as proof of licensing until you receive your plastic licence card by mail.

Please note that ServiceOntario does not accept applications for security guard or private investigator licences at its service counters.

Processing time

Please apply to renew your licence at least 30 days before your licence expires to ensure continuity of licensing.

Change of name

You may change your name on your security guard and/or private investigator licence card during the term of your licence if:

  1. you have legally changed your name under the Change of Name Act; or
  2. you have assumed a name through a change in marital status.

To change your name, please submit a Change of Name Form with the required documents by mail.

You can also change your name on your licence card at the time of renewal. Licence renewal applications can be submitted online or by mail through ServiceOntario.  Please indicate your new name and provide the required documents including your completed licence renewal application.

Change of address or criminal record information

If you change your address, or if you are convicted of a prescribed offence, you must notify us within five business days.

You can change your information online or submit a Change of Information Form by mail.

Change of licence category

It is possible to change your licence category (e.g. from security guard to dual) as long as you have completed the required training and passed the appropriate test.

You can change your licence category online or by completing an Application to Change Licence Category Form according to the instructions and sending it by mail.

Learn more

For more information about renewing or replacing a licence, read Questions and answers – security guard and private investigator licences.

If you have other questions about applying for a security guard or private investigator licence, contact customer service.