Ministry of the
Solicitor General

Register as an Employer

Private Security and Investigative Services

Register as an employer

Any employer that directly employs in-house security staff, but is not in the business of selling security services, must register with the ministry.

Employers who only use security staff from a licensed security agency do not need to register.

Visit the ServiceOntario website to:

  • Register as an employer of security guards and/or private investigators
  • Renew your registration
    • Request a new registration certificate to replace a lost, stolen or damaged certificate
    • Change the information on your registration certificate

Please note that ServiceOntario does not accept applications at its service counters.

Registration expiry

Registrations are valid for one year and must be renewed annually through ServiceOntario.

Processing time

Allow up to 30 business days for your registration to be processed.

Registered employer responsibilities

Registered employers are responsible for complying with the Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005 and all relevant regulations. Failure to comply can lead to charges.

If your mailing address changes, you must notify the ministry within five businesses days. You must also let the ministry know if your other contact information changes, such as your phone number or email address.

Learn more

For more information, read Questions and Answers – registered employers.

If you have other questions about registered employers, contact customer service.

Updates are posted in News & Information.