PSIS - Tips for a complete application
Private Security & Investigative Services
Apply for a Security Guard or Private Investigator Licence
Tips For a Complete Individual Licence Application
Before you begin, please note that to be eligible for a security guard and/or private investigator licence, you must:
- Possess a clean criminal record according to the Eligibility to Hold a Licence - Clean Criminal Record regulation.
- Be 18 years old or older.
- Be entitled to work in Canada, and
- Have successfully completed all training and testing.
Use the step-by-step instruction guide to help you complete all sections of the form and make sure you attach all required documents.
If you are not sure about a particular section of the form, contact a Customer Service Representative at 416-212-1650 or toll-free at 1-866-767-7454 or 416-212-6319 toll free 1-800-268-7095 for TTY/Teletypewriter users.
- Print and/or write clearly using black or dark blue ink so that your application can be read easily.
- All documents submitted must be neat, legible and suitable for scanning.
- Do not use correction fluid on your application form. If you make a mistake, cross it out, write the correct information beside the error and initial the change. Changes to the Guarantor Information Form must be made in the same manner, but must be made by the guarantor.
- Incomplete applications, and/or unacceptable identification or photos will delay licence processing and may lead to your application being returned.
- If changes to the original licence application are made, supporting documentation must be submitted.
- Make sure all information provided on the application is correct.
- Make sure you have read and understood all sections of the application form and that you have signed and dated all the required sections.
- Make sure the last, first and middle names you enter on your application match the names exactly as they appear on your identification. Enter any other names you have had. For example, if you have changed your name through marriage, provide your maiden name on the form, and send a copy of documentation that supports your married name. If you legally changed your name, enter your former name and ensure you submit proof of legally changing your name.
- Make sure the photograph you submit meets ministry standards, which are provided in the instruction guide.
- Acceptable payment methods are bank draft, certified cheque or money order. Make sure the payment is made out to “MINISTER OF FINANCE”. Payments made out to anyone else cannot be processed. Once a payment has been processed, it is NON-REFUNDABLE. This includes payments made towards applications that are denied due to ineligibility, returned or withdrawn.
- The guarantor must sign and date the Guarantor Information Form. The guarantor is responsible for verifying the original identification documents you submit to support your identity. Criminal background and guarantor checks are made for every application.
- Before submitting your application read the entire application again to make sure you have not made any errors.
- Complete the checklist at the end of the form to make sure you are submitting all required information and documents.