Fire Marshal Review Process
Fire Marshal Review Process:
A request to the Fire Marshal for a Review of an Order is the first stage of appeal for persons who consider themselves to be aggrieved by an Order. Requesting a Fire Marshal Review will result in a stay or suspension of the Order pending a decision of the Fire Marshal; however, the Fire Marshal may, upon request by an inspector, order that the Order take effect immediately where such action is deemed necessary in the interest of public safety. The process for initiating a request for a Fire Marshal Review is outlined below:
- To initiate a request for a Fire Marshal Review:
Complete this application form: “Application for Fire Marshal Review of an Order” (fillable PDF version)
Attach a copy of the Order and all relevant Appendices to the completed application form.
Submit the documents to the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management using one of the following options:
- E-mail: OFMEMReviews@ontario.ca
- Fax: 416-628-3739
- Mail: Technical Services – Fire Marshal Reviews
Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management
25 Morton Shulman Avenue, 2nd Floor, Toronto, ON M3M 0B1
- Following receipt of the completed application form and copy of the Order, the request for Fire Marshal Review will be assessed for eligibility and an acknowledgement letter will be jointly sent to both the person making the request and to the fire department.
- Both the fire department and the person making the request will be provided with a four week period to submit relevant information that they wish to have considered as part of the review.
- At the end of the four week period, the file will be assigned to and reviewed by a Delegate appointed by the Fire Marshal. The review does not involve a scheduled hearing; however, either party may receive a call by the Delegate if during the review process clarification is required for information submitted.
- The Delegate has authority to uphold, amend or rescind the Order or make a new Order. Once a decision is made by the Delegate, it will be issued in writing to both the person that requested the review and to the fire department.
- Should either party consider themselves to be aggrieved by the decision of the Delegate, an appeal to the Fire Safety Commission may be initiated. Instructions for initiating such an appeal will be included with the decision.