Chemical / Biological / Radiological / Nuclear / Explosive Response Teams
Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Team
Provincial CBRNE/HazMat/HUSAR Program
On behalf of the province, the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management (OFMEM) oversees, administers and supports Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with nine municipal fire services. These MOUs enable trained responders to be deployed throughout Ontario as needed in support of local responders dealing with large scale natural or man-made emergencies that exceed local capacity, when an emergency is being declared or contemplated:
- Three specialized expert (technician) Level 3 Chemical / Biological / Radiological / Nuclear/Explosive (CBRNE) Response Teams (established in Toronto, Windsor and Ottawa)
- Six operational support Level 2 teams (Peterborough, Cornwall, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, North Bay, and Cambridge/Waterloo/Kitchener)
- One Heavy Urban Search and Rescue (HUSAR) team in Toronto to respond anywhere in Ontario.
Fire coordinators for counties/regions/districts may request access to provincial support from the teams by contacting the Provincial Emergency Operations Centre on a 24-hour basis.
- The OFMEM’s own services and resources in support of CBRNE/Hazmat/HUSAR responses that exceed local capabilities, and as the provincial liaison during deployment of the MOU partner teams
- Advice and assistance to local responders by hazardous materials specialists
- Support to OFMEM’s own Fire Investigations Services (FIS) for complex fires including hazardous materials and, increasingly, clandestine drug labs
- Resources including decontamination set up coupled with tent, portable radios, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), monitoring devices, plugging kits, generators, and lighting, an SCBA refill station coupled with air compressor (Midhurst and Thunder Bay)
For more information about this program visit: