Firefighter Testing Information for NFPA 1001
and NFPA 472
Testing was revised to reflect the knowledge and skills required by NFPA 1001 Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications. That means that several written and skills topics have changed, e.g. less emphasis on Emergency Patient Care. It is important to consult the Standard and ensure that training is based on the Standard.
Test sessions are listed on the Firefighter testing schedule. For more information related to Provincial Firefighter testing please contact the OFM Testing Unit at OFMTestingandCertification@ontario.ca, 647-329-1082.
NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level I
NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Awareness
NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Operations (includes 6.2 PPE and 6.6 Product Control)
NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level II
- The former Tests 1, 2, 3 and 4 ended on March 31, 2014. People who passed all of these tests have received NFPA 1001 Level I and II, and NFPA 472. People who passed some of these tests need to read about transitioning.
- The issuing of Certificate of Achievement and component gold seals ended on March 31, 2014.
- Starting April 1, 2014, people will receive Certification for NFPA 1001 Level I after passing testing for
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level I
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Awareness
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Operations (includes 6.2 PPE and 6.6 Product Control)
- People will receive NFPA 1001 Level II after passing the above levels plus Firefighter Level II
- The OFM will implement a process to evaluate skills late in 2014, which will be needed in order to receive Certification. This is in addition to the skills testing that fire departments conduct. For further information, contact Doug Goodings (647) 329-1080.
- If you passed Tests 1, 2, 3, 4 – no need to write additional tests
- If you passed Test 4 - no need to write Haz Mat Awareness and Haz Mat Operations
- If you passed Test 1 and 4 – may request certification for FF Level I
- If you passed Test 1, 4 and either Test 2 or Test 3 – may request certification for FF Level I
- If you passed Test 1 only (2009/10 and later), you have credit towards FF I and need to pass Haz Mat Awareness and Haz Mat Operations to receive FFI certification
- If you passed Component 1 (2009/10 or earlier) you may wish to apply for grandfathering
Detailed Firefighter Testing Information
For more information related to Firefighter testing please contact the OFM Testing Unit at OFMTestingandCertification@ontario.ca, 647-329-1082. We will explain the process and send you information.