OCC Inquest - Wyllie 2018
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given name(s): James Douglas
Held at: 59 Carden St., Guelph
From: April 23, 2018
To: April 25, 2018
By: Dr. Robert M. Boyko
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: James Douglas Wyllie
Date and time of death: August 27th, 2015 at 1:59 p.m.
Place of death: 65 Independence Place, Guelph, Ontario
Cause of death: Accident
By what means: Traumatic asphyxia
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on the 25 of April, 2018
Coroner's name: Dr. Robert M. Boyko
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
James Douglas Wyllie
To the Canadian Standards Association (CSA):
- To review CSA Standards CAN3-B354.1-M82, CAN3-B354.2-M82, CAN3-B354.3-M82, CAN#-B354.4-M82, and CAN/CSA-C225-10 applicable to Elevating Work Platforms and consider amending it to include a requirement that said platforms be equipped with a pressure sensor on the belly bar/guard rail in front of the controls, which would stop all operations of the machine if depressed.
- To review CSA Standards CAN3-B354.1-M82, CAN3-B354.2-M82, CAN3-B354.3-M82, CAN#-B354.4-M82, and CAN/CSA-C225-10 applicable to Elevating Work Platforms and investigate new technology involving proximity detectors.
To the Ministry of Labour (MOL):
- To review the Regulations for Construction Projects to consider and assess whether it would be appropriate to require the use of a designated signaller to assist the operators of a Power Elevating Work Platform.
- That the ministry CSA member support recommendation 1. at the CSA Committee(s) pertaining to CAN3-B354.1-M82, CAN3-B354.2-M82, CAN3-B354.3-M82, CAN#-B354.4-M82, and CAN/CSA-C225-10
- As part of the ON CONST OHS – Application initiative that the Infrastructure Health and Safety Association (IHSA) develop an application for risk assessment including mitigating strategies for use by a single or a small group of workers.
- That the MOL Prevention Division support the aforementioned Application by the IHSA.