OCC Inquest - Smith 2015
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given Name(s): Rebecca Ann
Held at: Wellington Street, Brantford, Ontario
From: January 29
To: January 30, 2015
By: Dr. David Cameron, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Rebecca Ann Smith
Date and time of death: November 15th, 2012
Place of death: 148 Mohawk Street, Brantford
Cause of death: Fall from height
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on January 30, 2015
Coroner's name: Dr. David Cameron
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
Rebecca Ann Smith
To the Ministry of Labour:
- The Ministry of Labour shall require employers to post specific legislation & regulations pertaining to the employers’, supervisors’ & employees’ rights and responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety Act related to fall protection safety at access points to potential hazardous areas exceeding a height of 3 meters.
- Training courses related to Fall Protection shall include a mandatory component advising both Trainer and Employees taking those courses that a skylight is a fall hazard and to take preventative measures when working around or in the area of skylights.
- The word “skylight” should be included and specifically identified as a fall hazard in section 26 of the Ontario Regulations 213-91.
- All Trainers who are approved by the Chief Prevention Officer to give Fall Protection Training courses under the new legislation, which shall be proclaimed into force on April 1, 2015, should not be able to delegate that task to a trainer who is not certified by the Chief Prevention Officer.
- The Employer shall be responsible to ensure that its employees, who hold a valid Fall Protection certificate, are given safety specific training that is relevant to the type of work, job or project that the employer is asking the employee to perform.
- Upon registration of training, government-issued identification shall be used to verify the identity of the student and a record kept of same.
To Canadian Standards Association:
- Manufacturers of skylights shall place an easily visible, permanent, tamper-proof warning on the frame of the product, advising the consumer of the product’s appropriate use, payload and safety risk associated with skylights.