OCC Inquest - Seremach 2015
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given name(s): Elie
Held at: Windsor
From: Nov. 2, 2015
To: Nov. 4, 2015
By: Dr. J.C. Fedoruk
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Elie Seremach
Date and time of death: Sept. 8, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Place of death: ICU at Windsor Regional Hospital -Ouellette Campus, 1030 Ouellette Ave. Windsor, ON
Cause of death: Spinal cord injury due to fractured C6 vertebra as a result of a fall
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on Nov. 4, 2015
Coroner's name: Dr. J.C. Fedoruk, MD, LLB
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
To the Ministry of Labour:
- To require employers, as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, to require all individuals hired on a construction project to show proof of certification in all relevant and current safety training pertaining to their trade.
- Consider the passage of Regulations that require that partially assembled or unsafe equipment be properly identified as such or stored in a manner that prevents the use or misuse of the equipment.
- That the number of random inspections on construction projects should be increased.
- Consider the passage of Regulations that require all workers, including occasional, seasonal and self-employed, shall contact the constructor or assigned supervisor, as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, to notify him or her of their attendance on a construction project prior to commencing work.
- To develop Regulations that require all individuals working at heights to have annual or bi-annual medical reviews above an age to be determined after a review of Ministry of Labour data.
To both the Ministries of Labour and Education:
- Incorporate Working At Heights safety awareness training into the high school safety curriculum.