OCC Inquest - Piccinin 2016
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given Name(s): Emilio
Held at: 25 Morton Shulman Avenue, Toronto
From: May 9
To: May 11, 2016
By: Dr. Joel Ross, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Emilio Piccinin
Date and time of death: May 12, 2008 at 4:25 p.m.
Place of death: St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Cause of death: Blunt force head injuries
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson and Jurors)
The verdict was received on May 11, 2016
Coroner's name: Dr. Joel Ross
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
To the Ministry of Labour:
- A third-party compliance officer (independent of builders or contractors) be on site full time to ensure compliance with all Ontario Health and Safety Act (OHSA) regulations.
- Installation of video cameras on booms of all cranes on construction sites.
- Developers provide additional charged batteries for two-way radios and/or install charging stations throughout the job site.
- Review the potential advantages of construction site netting to increase safety on construction sites.
- Ensure a licensed journeyman is working with an apprentice on construction sites.
- All work sites have a secure sign-in and identification process.
- A dedicated person be assigned as a full-time housekeeping monitor reporting to the onsite compliance officer.