OCC Inquest - Freitas 2017
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given Name(s): Arlindo
Held at: Brampton, ON
From: January 16
To: January 18 2016
By: Dr. W. Lucas, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Arlindo Freitas
Date and time of death: April 25, 2014, 8:22 a.m.
Place of death: Mayfield Road and Chinguacousy Road, Brampton, Ontario
Cause of death: Multiple blunt force injuries
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on the 18 of January, 2017
Coroner's name: Dr. William J. Lucas
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
To the Ministry of Labour:
- Consider amending the Construction Projects Regulation 213/ 91 to place an obligation on employers to require that all employees to which the regulation applies be required to complete a minimum number of hours of job-specific and health and safety training, at the very least annually.
- Consider amending the Construction Projects Regulation 213/ 91 to require employers to review when a signaler/ spotter is required on every new job site where heavy equipment is being operated.
- Consider amending the Construction Projects Regulation 213/ 91 to require employers to review with all employees on any new construction project the hazards of working in the vicinity of mobile equipment.
- Consider amending any relevant regulations to require operators to sound a horn after idling for an extended period of time before proceeding.
To the Ministry of Labour, Infrastructure Health and Safety Association and Worker’s Health and Safety Centre:
- Consider including in existing curriculum the potential hazards of clothing which can obstruct vision and/or hearing on construction projects, and providing examples of safer alternatives. (i.e. hat liners instead of hoodies).