OCC Inquest - Clancy 2018
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given name(s): Darcy James
Held at: 1 Court House Square, Goderich
From: Nov. 13, 2018
To: Dec. 21, 2018
By: Dr. Geoffrey Bond
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Darcy James Clancy
Date and time of death: March 18, 2017 at 7:26 a.m.
Place of death: BAlexandria Marine General Hospital, Goderich, Ontario
Cause of death: Cranial cerebral trauma
By what means: Accidental, due to falling out of vehicle.
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on Dec. 21, 2018
Coroner's name: Dr. Geoffrey Bond
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
Darcy James Clancy
- The Mining Legislative Review Committee should examine the design of helmets, including the use of chin straps, to determine whether improvements can be made to protect workers mobile in a vehicle in mines.
- The Mining Legislative Review Committee should examine the feasibility of mandating seatbelts and rollover protection in personnel vehicles in underground mines.
- The Mining Legislative Review Committee should review to determine if non-slip products such as grip tape or non-slip flooring would aid in the assurance of non-slip surfaces in personnel carriers in mines.
- The Mining Legislative Review Committee should review what equipment or means, (if any) will improve the removal of debris from personnel carriers in mines and how its accessibility would be implemented
- All mines should have AED's accessible to the workers.
- All Mine Rescue members and employees trained in First Aid should have immediate access to a radio at all times while in the mine.
- Mine Supervisors should be aware at all times which employees in the mine are Mine Rescue and First Aid trained.
- Every mine should have a minimum of one worker underground who is at least Emergency First Aid trained at all times when production and/or contract workers are present