OCC Inquest - Briand 2018
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given name(s): Jason John
Held at: 16 McPherson Dr., Napanee
From: Jan. 8
To: Jan. 10, 2018
By: Dr. David Eden, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Jason John Briand
Date and time of death: October 22, 2015, 6:13 a.m.
Place of death: Quinte Detention Centre
Cause of death: Mixed toxicity of medications prescribed
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on the 10 of Jan., 2018
Coroner's name: Dr. David Eden
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
Jason John Briand
- Implementation of EMR (Electronic Medical Records) by the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services and their facilities.
- Quinte Detention Centre to follow the Ministry of Community Safety and Correction Services standards and guidelines with specific attention to Methadone Maintenance Treatment policy.
- More thorough assessment of incoming inmates during early incarceration period to ensure proper medical evaluation (i.e.: COWS, urine panel test).
- We support the delivery of the MMT/medical services at Quinte Detention Centre, which should be provided in a timely manner.
- Centre of Forensic Sciences should have the ability to detect the presence/absence of all medication prescribed in a correctional facility.