OCC Inquest - Affleck 2017
Verdict of Coroner's Jury
Office of the Chief Coroner
The Coroners Act - Province of Ontario
Given Name(s): Wayne
Held at: 150 Bond Street East, Oshawa
From: June 5
To: June 7, 2017
By: Dr. Monique Moreau, Coroner for Ontario
having been duly sworn/affirmed, have inquired into and determined the following:
Name of deceased: Wayne Affleck
Date and time of death: December 13th, 2013 at 10:30 a.m.
Place of death: Lakeridge Hospital, 451 Paxton Street, Port Perry
Cause of death: Electrocution
By what means: Accident
(Original signed by: Foreperson)
The verdict was received on the 7 of June, 2017
Coroner's name: Dr. Monique Moreau
(Original signed by coroner)
We, the jury, wish to make the following recommendations:
Inquest into the death of:
- To the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeships: that electrical apprentices (persons who do not hold a certificate of qualification issued by the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009) shall not be allowed to work on a construction site without the supervision of a journeyman or qualified electrician where the work being done is electrical in nature, being a new electrical construction or a modification of an existing electrical construction.
- To the Canadian Standards Association and to the Electrical Safety Authority: that all E-Houses be grounded by the manufacturer when shipped to on-site locations for commissioning.
- To the Canadian Standards Association: that electrical circuit breaker interlocks be permanently fixed to their electrical circuit breakers.
- To the Canadian Standards Association: that electrical circuit breaker interlocks be made accessible only by removing a protective panel, which panel would have affixed to it a hazard warning label.
- To the Canadian Standards Association: that an electrical receptacle, suitable for equipment charging and tool use, be tied-in to the emergency lighting electrical circuit breaker of E-Houses.